Cannonau is the vermilion blood that flows in the veins of Sardinia. It is full bodied and intense, proud, sincere and robust, like the hinterland, like the eyes of Sardinian people.
It is as old as the land from which it derives. Up until recently, it was believed that this vine variety was of Iberian origins (precisely, that it had been imported on the island during the 15th century). However, the discovery of grape seeds dating back over 3,000 years in the valley of the river Tirso (near Oristano) is a proof of the local origin of the vine variety.
Cannonau DOC is a 100% pure wine or with at least 90% of grapes coming from the eponymous vine variety, while the remaining 10% can be composed of other black vine varieties as recommended or authorised by the Sardinian product specifications. Cannonau is undoubtedly the black vine variety that is more cultivated on the island: based on calculations, it should represent around 30% of the overall wine surface.